The Mahabat Khan Mosque (Urdu, Pashto: مہابت خان مسجد) is a 17th-century mosque in Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. It is named after the Mughal governor of Peshawar Nawab Mahabat Khan Kamboh who served under Emperors Shah Jehan and Aurangzeb. Nawab Mahabat Khan Kamboh was the grandson of Nawab Dadan Khan Kamboh (a former governor of Lahore). The name of the Masjid and the governor who built is often mispronounced as ‘Muhabbat Khan’ (‘Love Khan’) by the public majority instead of the correct pronunciation ‘Mahabat Khan’ (‘Awe-inspiring Khan’).
The Mosque was built in 1630. Its open courtyard has a centrally-located ablution pool and a single row of rooms lining the exterior walls. The prayer hall, flanked by two tall minarets, occupies the west side. According to the turn-of-the-century Gazetteer for Pakhtunkhwa, the minarets were frequently used in Sikh times ‘as a substitute for the gallows’.
PESHAWAR: The khateeb of the historical Mahabat Khan Mosque, Maulana Muhammad Yousaf Qureshi, a renowned religious figure, passed away after a prolonged illness on Tuesday. He was around 70 years old.
He was laid to rest on Tuesday evening at his ancestral graveyard in Peshawar. Thousands of people from different socioeconomic backgrounds and professions attended his funeral prayers at the Jamia Ashrafia on Eid Gah Road, Faqirabad in
National and international influence
Qureshi was among the leading religious figures of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. In Ziaul Haq’s regime, he led the Muttahida Sharia Mahaz and backed Maulana Samiul Haq, who had established a parallel JUI after the death of Maulana Mufti Mahmood.He was among the seven most distinguished religious figures in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Zarqa was among his staunch followers. He was also invited by the United States to help fight the Afghan war against the Soviet Union.
Born into a respectable and influential family, Maulana Muhammad Yousaf Qureshi believed that serving God was his calling. He not only served as the Khateeb of Mahabat Khan Mosque for five decades, but also administered and headed the Jamia Ashrafia seminary.
He was famous for holding his sword in his hand during religious gatherings, especially at demonstrations and rallies against western countries on issues pertaining to blasphemy laws.His family, belonging to the Deobandi school of thought, is related to the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Sami chief. Although none of his sons or nephews were actively involved in politics, his entire family remained an avid supporter of religious parties including Jamaat-e-Islami.
His younger brother, Maulana Ashraf Ali Qureshi, was the khateeb of another historical masjid and seminary at Bajoori Gate, Peshawar. He died a few years ago.The cleric left behind a widow and eight sons.
he city of Peshawar, though terribly recent and a city that has been the thoroughfare of all the invaders from Khyber Pass has terribly less to supply as so much Muslims design, specially the Moguls design is bothered. However, Masjid Mahabat Khan, is that the solely structure that stands nowadays during a slim ally of the “Andar Shehar Bazaar” of the recent town, that reminds of the glory theMogul empire and also their love for construction, specially the mosques.
The mosque was in-built 1670 A.D, throughout the rule of the Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan by Mahabat Khan the Governor of Peshawar valley. Since the mosque was funded and financed by him. The mosque became to be called Masjid Mahabat Khan. The mosque is matchless of Mughal design, set among the gold and silversmith retailers. It’s a slim however large entrance that results in an outsized prayer courtyard. Within the middle of the courtyard may be a cool blue tiled ablution pond with a row of rooms on either facet or a main prayer hall towards the western facet.
The most halls are lavishly embellished within with floral works and Islamic calligraphy. The highest of the mosque is roofed by 3 fluted domes, whereas 2 tall minarets stand on every flank of the most halls. Like all alternative Muslim buildings that were looted, destroyed and plundered throughout the Sikhs occupation of Punjab, this mosque was additionally no exception. Its blue tiles and decorative plates were ruthlessly removed and whisked away. Throughout the appointment of General Avitabile, an Italian mercenary, because the governor of Peshawar, a day before breakfast, he would have a number of native men hurled from the highest of the minaret of the Mosque to teach a lesson to the defiant tribesmen. His cruelty has passed into the folklore of the walled town for naughty kids are typically warned of the wrath of Abu Tabela, an area corruption of Avitabile. The highest domes of the minarets were destroyed by the Sikh rulers by Hearth in 1898 and were solely saved by the unremitting efforts of the devoted. The masque was later rebuilt by the British Government. The mosque is open to tourist a day from sunrise until sunset, except throughout the prayers timings and specially the afternoon Friday prayers.
West of Chowk Yadgar is Mahabat Khan Mosque, the city’s finest mosque, built in 1630 by the governor of Peshawar under Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, and renovated in 1898. You can enter the mosque and look around at the lavish tiled interior and also get a good view of the plaza and minarets from an ancient caravanserai to the east. Freelance guides that hover around Ander Shahar are good value for visiting the mosque and caravanserai, though they’ll want you to visit their shop afterwards.